Be advised that this matter deals with extreme violence, sexual references and adult  themes. 

A message for the REAL backpacker murderers

It is quite likely that those involved in the backpacker murders in Belanglo
Forest are reading these articles. I have something to say to you. The
man serving time for these crimes is innocent of them. At the very least,
leave a letter with your attorney to be opened after your demise,
or make a deathbed confession, preferably with plenty of witnesses because
the State of N.S.W. wants this covered up. After all you won't be the 'famous
backpacker murderers' unless you do this, and every serial killer wants
attention. I challenge you to contact the good people who run this site, or me,
and talk about what you have done. I know you are out there. I am not afraid of you.
Most likely you have an interest in the occult and satanism. So who are you scared of? Talk.

"Alice Smith"

Please scroll right down for late breaking February, 2007 updates on this story which will not go away.

- Belanglo Murderer DNA Found on Recent Murder Victim

"Ivan Milat was not the only suspect in this case. There were other suspects, in particular one from Wollongong of European origin whose children saw him doing suspicious things. The man from Wollongong had a long history of violence against women and many criminal convictions including convictions for paedophilia. He was obsessed with guns and had been in the armed forces overseas. He looks not unlike Ivan Milat in appearance and is of similar build. This particular suspect's car was seized by Task Force Air and human bloodstains were found in the back. If police really want to reopen the case they could start by comparing his DNA with that found under the victim's fingernails." - JULY 19th, 2005


The Making of an Outlaw

by "Alice Smith"

In 1991 my father was killed in suspicious circumstances in Canberra after speaking publicly in an interview with Jana Wendt about things that were happening in Telecom that he didn't agree with. My father hated lies and injustice. He was a proud Scot whose ancestors had fought the English on many battlefields.

I fought hard to have his death properly investigated and suffered threats by the Federal Police and staff of the Canberra Coroners' Court.

I was threatened with being arrested for 'contempt of court' if I did not stop doing my own investigations into my father's death and also with defamation proceedings if I did not stop publicly calling the investigation a total farce. In normal cases the coroner welcomes input from the victim's family but in my case I was persona non grata in the whole affair.

This is where I got my nickname, Cat Ballou. The 'real' Cat Ballou avenged her father's death, and so did I, though I can't talk about that here. Rest assured those responsible, though, have had to leave town and will never sleep well at night again.

In late 1992 I took my children, aged five and six, to Disneyland.

While there they indicated that they did not want to see their father when they returned. Though we had been separated for four years due to his drunkenness and violence I allowed him access to the children whenever he wanted it and we usually went on holiday together. He had a history of violence against women and children, having been jailed in about 1978 for nearly killing his wife. She sufferered horrendous injuries. She was blinded in one eye and her uterus came out of her body. It was a sickening attack but he was such a good liar I was convinced she had exaggerated. However I was determined the children would have a father and I had done my best to keep things civil.

But when the children said "Isn't it good that Daddy is on the other side of the world and he can't hurt us" as we sat on the balcony of the Dunes Hotel in Las Vegas, I was worried.

We returned to Sydney airport and their father picked us up. The children, wearing Mexican hats, refused to go near him. I said "Go on, give Daddy a big hug", but they hid behind me.

That night I woke up in my mother's house and heard my son saying "You can't tell her, if you do he'll kill us." My daughter replied "If we don't tell her I would rather be dead anyway." Then my daughter came and got into my bed and said "Daddy has done some very rude things to us. He showed us horrible pictures and movies and he made us touch his rude parts."

I was shocked and sickened but I believed my children right away. Soon my son came in and confirmed that it was true. I could not handle any more information than that and in the morning I called in the Bulli Child Protection police.

Then began days and days of interviews with the children and the police. Sometimes I would sit and listen, sometimes my mother would, but what we heard shocked and sickened us. My children had been sexually assaulted ever since they could remember in horrible and bizarre ways. Their father had injected them with drugs, made them smoke marijuana and drink alcohol. They said their father put something in my coffee and I would fall asleep for hours. I remembered those times and I had thought I just had a bad virus or something. I did not realize I had been drugged. He had put on a dress on many occasions, and would take my son every Friday down the main street of Wollongong while dressed as a woman.

As my children were too young to understand dates and times, the assaults were narrowed down to four which had occurred on Christmas Eve 1992. I cannot detail them because they sicken me. My daughter had had a knife held to her throat and my son, when he said "We are going to tell our mother", was taken to Woonona Beach where he was held under the water. He said "I was sure I would die. I thought my lungs would burst."

My children continued to be interviewed by police about other assaults after he was charged. They were talking about photos and videos being taken and about other children being present. It seemed their father was involved in a paedophile ring. I knew that he was friends with Wollongong mayor Frank Arkell and that there were rumours that Arkell was a paedophile. He was later charged but was ritually murdered by a professed satanist youth before he could appear in court.

I tried to get the children into counselling but everywhere they had a waiting list of many months.

This belies the perpetrator's current campaign against us on the Internet (look up 'false memory syndrome' and you will read everywhere of the 'notorious Wollongong case where a man was wrongfully jailed for seven months') where he claims counsellors implanted false memories in my childrens' minds. They must have been clever if they were able to do it before they even met the children. And of course he never mentions his first family, the two boys and one stepdaughter who also allege horrendous abuse. He tries to convince people that my children were the only ones he had because if they find out a total of five children and two women are all saying virtually the same things about him, it doesn't look good for him. He's a liar, and a very clever one. He's sophisticated, educated, worldly and a psychopath. He works part time in the Wollongong Salvation Army store to avoid being harassed about having been on the dole for so long.

He is a German citizen who has been in Australia for 30 years and has spent 27 of those years on the dole to avoid supporting any of his four children. He is a convicted car thief, paedophile and wife basher. He has been arrested for violent offences on at least 30 occasions. He fled Canada in the early 1970s following a long jail term during which time he completed his Higher School Certificate. I have been unable to establish what he really did in Toronto, Canada, though his only explanation to me was 'It was just a street fight that got out of control." So why is he still here? Ask the Minister for Immigration. She seems very good at getting rid of people who would make good migrants, and even innocent people like Cornelia Rau, but she allows these kind of bludgers with criminal records to stay. He is not an Australian citizen. He also dislikes Australians intensely, as well as his own countrymen, Germans, as he says since World War 2 they have become weaklings. He idolizes Adolph Hitler.

As the months went by and interviews continued, the children revealed more and more about his activities. They told how he liked to dress in a black gown and use a dagger to kill animals. They said he gave them baby rabbits to hold, told them to give the rabbits names, then cut off their heads in front of them, saying "This is what will happen to you if you tell anyone about this." They said there were many other people present when these terrible things happened and they began to describe rituals.

The police eventually had all the information they wanted and after about six months, counselling was finally available at Centrecare Wollongong.

When the children started to talk to the counsellors, they began to tell more and more of what had been going on. They had confidence that they were safe and were believed. They said that their father had picked up hitch hikers and had killed them by stabbing and mutilating them. He had made the children help him put the body parts in plastic bags and take them to the bush.

The counsellors called Wollongong Detectives and my children were interviewed. I was not present during the interviews. Meanwhile the bodies of the murdered backpackers were found in Belanglo Forest. The bodies were buried east-west and each one had a circle of stone beside it. These are occult symbols. A stone altar was found in the forest but quickly dismantled by police who did not want public panic. An investigative journalist, then of the Illawarra Mercury and now of the Bulletin, confirmed some of these things. I got in touch with him and told him our story. He recorded interviews with my children about the murders on a tape recorder.

My children had stated on occasions their father had killed people both by shooting them and by stabbing them over and over, in the presence of many other people, probably in some kind of occult sacrificial ritual. The people found dead in Belanglo had been killed by the same method, and there were occult overtones. My children knew how the people were killed before the facts were released to the media.

My 'ex' then became the chief suspect in the Backpacker Murders. A Winchester .22 rifle used by the perpetrator on occasions was seized from my home. I was told though they were mainly looking for a Ruger rifle, a Winchester .22 was another one which had been fired in Belanglo Forest. I never saw that rifle again even though it was actually mine.

My children had said that their father had sometimes put bodies in the back of a blue Mazda station wagon which he had recently made me sell to a Corrimal wrecking yard. I remember well how he demanded that I drive the car to the wreckers. I tried to protest. I said "But there's nothing wrong with it." He could become violent very quickly so I backed down when I saw his face turn nasty. Forensic police took me to the wrecking yard and then pulled the car apart panel by panel. They tested for human blood in the back and the test on several stains was positive. I suggested it could be fish blood, but the forensic police told me that was not possible with their testing procedures.

Police showed little interest in interviewing the now-teenage sons and stepdaughter of the perpetrator. I feel sure they would have had information about his criminal activities as well. They were absolutely terrified of him and hated him, just like my children. Yet they have never been interviewed about what they know. I live in hope that one of them will come forward with information in time.

Their mother was interviewed and would only say "He was a very violent and dangerous man".

I was dismayed when Ivan Milat was arrested for the backpacker murders.

I had expected my 'ex' to be arrested. Detective Gae Crea of Task Force Air had told me my 'ex' was the best suspect they had. I have studied Ivan's case and I am sure he has been framed. There is in fact not one thing to link him to the backpacker murders. No murder weapon was ever found in his possession even though he and his brothers owned several guns of various types. The identification by Paul Onions was flawed as police had showed him a photo of Ivan prior to asking him to identify him.

I continue to support Ivan by writing to him and visiting him.

Strangely Ivan has a striking resemblance to my 'ex'. Paul Onions also identified a car that looked nothing like the one owned at the time by Ivan Milat.

Police in Wollongong refused to investigate further the other perpetrators of sexual abuse against my children. The paedophile ring aspect was ignored.

My children had said right from the start that photos and videos had been taken during the abuse and during the murder of backpackers.

No doubt there are snuff movies around featuring these horrific events.

I complained to the (Wood) Royal Commission which was set up to investigate police corruption. I gave four hours of secret evidence about the Wollongong paeodophile ring but my evidence was kept secret. It was never aired. Franca Arena and Deidre Grusovin bravely brought up the matter in Parliament and as a result they both lost their positions as M.P.s.

I received numerous threats related to my own investigations into the paedophile ring. I was at first afraid. I moved to the country and lived in an isolated shearers' hut, then bought my own isolated property. One day I found a man hiding in a car behind some trees inside my gate with a handgun on the seat beside him. I pointed my shotgun at him and told him to get off my property. He fled, and was caught by local police for driving an unregistered vehicle.

I attended the court case in Penrith and I know this man's identity. He is Christopher Mannix. He works as a private investigator. I believe he was there to kill me.

People have said the abuse of my children may have been punishment for my loud protests about my father's murder. But I was already with the perpetrator long before he died. I cannot make a connection at all.

In early 1997 I did an interview with a prisoners' action group relating to my childrens' revelations that their father was a murderer. I did this to assist Ivan Milat who is still trying to get his appeal off the ground despite political interference in the process.

On the way home I was doing nothing wrong in a country town when police came up behind me with their lights and sirens going. It was midnight and my children were in the back seat asleep. The police were very abusive towards me, searched the car for drugs and demanded to see my licence and car rego papers.

Then they let me go without laying any charges.

On 12th March, 1997 a horrible thing happened. I really can't explain it. My children and I were alone at our farm at around 10pm and I was talking to a friend called Debbie on the phone. My children had been outside on the verandah and they ran inside saying there was 'something strange' outside, a big blue light.

My friend on the phone heard this and I said "Hold the line while I go and have a look." I went outside and there was a strange blue light out there. I did not know what it was so I went back to my friend and tried to describe it to her. She was afraid for me and said it may be some kind of harassment. She asked if she should call the police. By then I no longer trusted police so I said no. Suddenly the line went dead. I went and got my shotgun, loaded it and went outside to see what was going on. I called my children but they did not answer. All I could see was the blue light which was the size of a two-storey building. I walked all over the property near the house, stables and chicken pens, but could see nothing and could not find my children. I was about fifty metres from the house when everything went blank.

I woke up at around 3am, fully dressed, still wearing my boots and with my loaded shotgun on my bed beside me. The phone was ringing. It was my friend Debbie who I had been talking to. She said "Where have you been? I have been panicking about you." I didn't know where I had been. I had apparently been unconscious on my bed. She said "Where are the children?" I went and had a look. They were asleep in their beds. I went back to the phone. Debbie had been terrified when the phone line went dead. Thank goodness I have a witness to the weird happenings on that night.

In the morning my children described and drew pictures of a UFO and told a typical 'alien abduction' story*.

I could have called the media and made a big fuss, but I felt sure that this was what 'they' wanted me to do - so I would look completely mad.

Who are 'they'?

Who knows. The paedophile ring, the government covering it up, the police?

I later read in the papers that on the same night a doctor and nurse from Bathurst, nearby, were followed in their car by a huge blue light that they thought was a UFO and were very frightened by it.

I don't have any answers to this experience. A few weeks later, I awoke around 3am to a horrible noise like a thousand huge helicopters hovering above the house.

The whole house shook. I thought, "No, not again." I stayed in bed and hoped it would go away, and after a while it did.

My daughter had been having trouble with a teacher who had thrown one of her friends across the room and was verbally and physically abusing children in the class.

One day she threw all my daughter's books in her face. I went down to the school and made a huge fuss about it. I reported the teacher to Department of Community Services (DOCS).

I was also working as a teacher. Within five days, several letters were handed to my principal alleging that I verbally and physically abused the children in my class and threw books at them. The same things I had said about the real child abuser. Words and phrases were copied from my letters of complaint in the letters of the friends of the other teacher. I did not know that the abusive teacher's brother was a very powerful man, NSW vice president of the United Mineworkers Federation, one of many unions known to hire hitmen to get rid of their enemies. No wonder other parents who had complained about the teacher in the past had left town in a hurry.

The abusive teacher was not stood down but I was. I believe this was the chance the NSW government had been waiting for. And because her brother was a high-profile unionist, my union, the NSW Teachers Federation, not only refused to support me, but betrayed me.

I had spoken out in support of Franca Arena MP at a public rally against paedophile rings. I had stated at that rally that Ivan Milat had been framed and that a better suspect had been protected by police. I had been mentioned in the media a few times as someone who had complained the Royal Commission had not done its job properly. During 1997 I had also had 60 Minutes interview me about the mysterious death of my father, but when they went to Canberra to ask questions they were told there was a "D-notice" (publication not allowed) on anything to do with my father's work at Telecom Tower or his death.

I was ordered to attend a medical examination at HealthQuest in Sydney - the office of the government medical officer Dr Helia Gapper.

I was so glad then that I had never told anyone about the experience with the strange blue light.

I had confidence that I would be cleared. I saw Dr Pasfield who told me "There is nothing wrong with you. But I do not make the decisions - Dr Gapper does." I said "But I have never met Dr Gapper!"

I never did meet her.

I expected to go back to work but weeks later I was ordered to attend another interview with a psychologist, Hadi Stambouliah. He apparently certified that I had early Alzheimer's disease - and he is not even a doctor. He later appeared before the Psychologists Registration Board for misconduct relating to my case but was cleared and allowed to continue practising.

Meanwhile throughout the year I received many death threats by phone despite changing my number. I now welcome any such threats as a chance to tell the other side exactly what I think of them and what I will do to them if they dare to show their faces at my house. These phone calls included one from a recently deceased policeman who was involved with Task Force Air. I recorded it at the time.

Soon after I attended HealthQuest I received a Certificate of Medical Retirement in the post.

I had been certified unfit to continue as a teacher due to early Alzheimer's Disease. I was a bit surprised to say the least.

I appealed against the decision and several friends in Parliament supported me and brought the matter up in Parliament. Journalist friends wrote about my case, and other cases of public servants who had been 'certified' and sacked for speaking up.

I withdrew my children from school for the rest of the year and home-schooled them without a permit. I could not go to town because people hated me for exposing the abusive teacher who was popular in various sporting clubs and as a socialite and whose brother was leader of the union most men in the town belonged to.

My salary was cut off and soon I could not make the repayments on the farm. Our first calf, called Billabong, had been born on the property.

My kids had all kinds of pets - rabbits, peacocks, hens - the bank threatened to sell the property so we had to go. We returned to Wollongong while the appeal was going through. I was now penniless and receiving supporting parents' benefits. My kids lost everything they had and so did I. Yet I would not be silenced and continued to speak up against the children's father and the paedophile ring. He was sentenced to 4 years' jail in May 1994 but appealed and got off on a technicality - that the judge did not instruct the jury that my daughter's evidence was unsupported, as my son had fainted while giving his evidence and could not continue. He has NOT been found 'not guilty.' That would require a retrial or a pardon being granted. He runs around telling people he was found not guilty and this is nonsense.

In 1998 I became the first public servant to succeed in an appeal against unwanted medical retirement and was returned to work - but in Wollongong, not in the country.

We bought another house after the farm was sold but the children's father soon found out where we were and started to stalk us. We had to sell it.

He went to the media making his claims of 'false memories' and 'lies' told by his children. He said he wanted his children back. In one Illawarra Mercury article there was a photo of him and in the background there was a photo of my daughter on the wall. It is a criminal offence to reveal the identity of a victim of sexual assault and so the editor of the Illawarra Mercury was taken to court by the police after I protested, but he was found not guilty.


Our story appeared on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald. The perpetrator made claims that 'someone' fed stories of satanic ritual abuse to my children and made them lie about him. I continued to fight back with my own media campaign. The perpetrator tried to take out an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) against me in 1999 but failed. Meanwhile he stalked us and harassed us whenever he could. I was not afraid any more, just angry.

We have now moved again and recently he started to follow us at shopping centres and around town. Just a few days ago he stalked my son at the place where he works part time. Last year he followed me in Warrawong and said to me "I will not hesitate to kill you if you don't shut up." Luckily a very large Maori biker friend of mine overheard this exchange and came to my defence. Thank you, brother. The friends that I have are treasures.

I have had a difficult time but I will never give in. My father was murdered for what he believed in. My children are very brave. I will stand up and be counted until the day I die. I know I put my life in danger by speaking up against these wrongs. But I don't care. A life lived in fear is a life not lived at all.

I do not know if my 'ex' is a 'satanist'. I don't know if the gowns and things were just props for the snuff movies and pornography that was being filmed. But I do know I believe my children. And I believe his first wife and her three children including the perpetrator's stepdaughter who was sexually assaulted by him. At the very least he is a paedophile, at the most he could be a serial killer.

As a result of my dealings with corrupt police, the N.S.W. government and others who have threatened me and my children, I now consider myself an enemy of the State.

As far as I am concerned, we are at war.

I am now a biker and have a tattoo that says "Live Free or Die". I will not co-operate with police and would not call on them if I was being murdered. I will deal with my own problems from now on. I consider myself an outlaw. Maybe there's a hereditary link to my strength to carry on and be happy because my great great great grandfather was Michael McGrath, who was transported to Australia for his involvement in the 1798 Irish Rebellion.

No-one chooses to be an outlaw. We are forced into that position by the corrupt System. But when freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free.


All people who live subject to other people's laws are victims.

People who break laws out of greed, frustration, or vengeance are victims.

People who overturn laws in order to replace them with their own laws are victims.

We outlaws, however, live beyond the law.

We don't merely live beyond the letter of the law, we live beyond the spirit of the law.

In a sense, then, we live beyond society.

Have we a common goal, that goal is to turn the tables on the nature of society.

When we succeed, we raise the exhilaration content of the universe.

We even raise it a little bit when we fail.

I love the trite mythos of the outlaw. I love the self-conscious romanticism of the outlaw. I love the black wardrobe of the outlaw. I love the fey smile of the outlaw.

I love the way respectable men sneer and say "outlaw."

The outlaw boat sails against the flow, and I love it.

All outlaws are photogenic, and I love that. "When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free" - that's a graffito seen in Anacortes, and I love that. There are outlaw maps that lead to outlaw treasures, and I love those maps especially. Unwilling to wait for mankind to improve, the outlaw lives as if that day were here, and I love that most of all. Criminals, because they're plagued with guilt, often will surrender and go quietly.

Outlaws, because they're pure, never will.

Stolen from Tom Robbins (Still Life With Woodpecker)


This letter written by gaiaguys in support of "Alice Smith" gives just a little idea of the kind of persecution she has been subjected to in her extensive battle for justice.


*To find out who is really behind the so-called "alien abductions" terror, please click here and study the Disclosure Project.

To learn more about how this abominable protected satanic ritual abuse functions, please study our files here.



(Friends of Ivan Robert Milat)

Social justice activists are starting to find each other within the World Wide Web, as the corrupt Australian mainstream media launches a new campaign of vile disinformation (below) to cover for the REAL perpetrators of these heinous and ongoing crimes.




Sydney Morning Herald

Milat bisexual control freak, says investigator

 November 8th 2004

Backpacker murderer Ivan Milat was a bisexual control freak who killed when his relationship with a woman went bad, according to the man who masterminded his capture.

Clive Small, who coordinated the police team that tracked down the serial killer, said Milat would murder someone then calmly attend a family get together.

"Ivan was a control freak ... (the murders) all occurred when his relationship with a woman appeared unstable," Mr Small told the second part of Australian Story's feature on the Milat family that aired on ABC Television on Monday night.

One of Milat's brothers, Boris, who has broken ranks with the family to speak out against Ivan, told the program his brother could have been compelled by an urge that was akin to doing stunts in a car.

"To him (Ivan) it may have been a sexual urge ... it may have been the urge you get when you spin your wheels and smoke your wheels up in your car," Boris Milat said.

But the most disturbing assessment of what drove Ivan Milat to murder seven backpackers comes from Mr Small.

"I'm personally satisfied Ivan was bisexual, that his interest in sex was not about love or gratification," he said.

"Rather it was about control ... and the release of the pressure that built up inside him because of that desire for control.

"So having made the killings he then attends a family function. He's calm, he's normal, he's part of the family.

"He had lost control of his family life once his wife told him she was going to divorce. His way of asserting control again was to kidnap or abduct."

The program also features a phone interview with Milat, in which he said he was amazed when his trial lawyers suggested in court that someone else in his family may have killed the backpackers.

The interview, conducted from inside Goulburn's Supermax prison, was about a key part of the defence used at his 1996 trial.

During the trial, Milat's brothers Richard and Walter both denied any involvement in the murders.

Milat's barrister, however, told the court "blind Freddie" could see that someone in the Milat family murdered seven backpackers and attacked another traveller between September 1992 and November 1993.

But Milat insists that none of his family was responsible for the murders.

Asked by his sister-in-law Caroline during a phone call if he was granted a re-trial would he use the same legal strategy to blame his brothers, Milat replied: "Well I never argued that in the first place.

"I don't know how that come (sic) in. I was totally amazed when I was sitting there and I heard that.

"I had no idea because my basic defence in my trial was (that) it wasn't me.

"I don't know who did it. It was up to them to prove me guilty, not for me to prove my innocence."

The program also claims that while most of Milat's surviving 11 brothers and sisters publicly deny his guilt, privately they describe him as a schizophrenic and say he's in the right place.

Ivan Milat was jailed in 1996 for murdering seven backpackers in the Belanglo State Forest south of Sydney.


[gaiaguys comment : - What was most noticeable was the OBVIOUS Freemasonic symbolism displayed by Clive Small and his ABC-TV studio interview.]

 "My number is 11, as all their numbers who are of us. The Five Pointed Star, with a Circle in the Middle, & the circle is Red. My colour is black to the blind, but the

 blue & gold

are seen of the seeing."

 - Satanist Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law


Page: 3077



Breaking the Silence

Australian survivors of child abuse speak out in a great book! Edited by Liz Mullinar and Candida Hunt - Published by Hodder and Stoughton. Cover design by Liz Seymour. Members of ASCA (Advocates for Survivors of Child Abuse) helped compile this book. It has a great section on: Australian organisations, resources, how to form a self-help group and how to go about taking legal action.

Below are excerpts from this valuable book which pertain to the children of the author of the above article.

 pages 164 - 167

A few months later the fist issue of Beyond Survival, a bi-monthly magazine on ritual abuse, trauma and dissociation, was published. At the same time, professionals working with ritual abuse survivors began to work towards establishing greater awareness of this crime. They formed the Australian Association of Trauma and Dissociation, whose annual conference is attended by professionals from all over Australian and New Zealand.

Statistics kept by sexual assault services in Canberra showed that during two sample weeks in 1995 they were contacted by more women stating that they had been ritually abused than by rape victims. The Sydney Rape Crisis Centre received 584 calls between July 1994 and June 1995 from women who identified themselves as ritual abuse survivors.

Ritual abuse survivors have been speaking out for a long time, but it is only in the last few years that some people have become willing to listen. Those of you who have not been affected by ritual abuse will find it very difficult to believe these stories - as we did. The abuse is so horrific that it seems impossible it could have happened here in Australia. But perhaps after the recent surfacing of 'unbelievable' cases overseas, such as the Fred and Rosemary West case in England or the Marc Dutroux case in Belgium, more people may begin to listen.

It is very difficult for such survivors, who are not believed, and who are specifically excluded from government help in some states. When ritual abuse perpetrators in Australia are taken to court the survivor's lawyer usually recommends that the ritual elements of the abuse be left out to avoid damaging the credibility of the victim. Nevertheless, some brave people, including children, have been speaking out.

"I had a terrible father. He did bad things when I went to his house every Friday. At night, when I was fast asleep, he would wake me up and say, 'We are going somewhere.' Then he would put me in his car in my pyjamas and take me to a place that was shaped like a wide cement tunnel. The tunnel was near the seaside. When we were inside, I saw men in black capes and clothes and women in black as well. When they saw my father they said, 'Now let us pray to Satan.' They said kind things about the devil. When that was over, they had little baby bunnies that were very sweet and I got to pat them and hug them and give them names. Then they snatched them off me and when I was trying to shut my eyes and think about something else, they chopped their heads off.

One night we went to a forest. The same people were there. The forest was very dark except for candles. There was an upside-down cross. They made a child who was there take his clothes off and then they took photos and a video of him. He was trying not to do the things they said, but they made him walk up and down. They had a whip. They did all the rude things to me too. They took photos and videos of me. The women and the men touched my private parts.

I was desperate to tell Mummy about what happened. I told her and Nanny. Some police came to hear the story. I was really happy when it was all over. When we went to court I tried to speak up, but I was very scared and embarrassed. The person I was with took me outside to get a drink and a little walk. I was too scared to go back. My sister spoke up and that is the reason he went to jail for a while.

It frightens me a lot. I see demons sometimes. Often I nearly faint. I am scared that one day the court will be on his side and we will have to go and see him again.

I don't think I am very much like the other children at school. They all have good families. They have nice fathers and I wish we had one as well. I will be afraid of him all my life.

I wished I was dead when they killed the poor rabbits. I saw some people killed too, but I don't really like talking about that.

I love God and wish that there was no such thing as the devil. Sometimes I see my guardian angel at the side of my bed and I think the angels are guarding me to keep the devil away. When I go to see Dr A., it makes me feel that the devil is going further down every time we go there. Dr A. writes down the things and has special rubbers that she rubs out my bad memories with."

Robert Somerville, aged 8

"I didn't reaslise anything was wrong till I was about three years old. Then I did not want to be alive any more because of the terrible things that were happening.

The person doing most of the rude things was my father. There were other people in this too. Some of them were women and some were men. There were other children who were having the same things done to them as me. The bad people took rude videos and photos of us. My brother was there too. Mummy was at home and did not know what was happening to us.

The bad people dressed up and there were things done to animals. What happened to the rabbits was that they got killed for a sacrifice. Also they killed children too. I told the police about two women my brother and I saw stabbed to death.

I tried to tell Mummy when I was three but I couldn't. When I was six I told Mummy about the bad things that were happening. I though she would smack me and tell me that I was lying. I was so scared, because the bad people said if I told anyone they would kill me.

When I told the police I felt a bit embarrassed. When I went to court I felt even more embarrassed about telling so many people and also having my father there. Anyway I told the court and he was sent to jail for a while, but got out.

I do not think of it very much. Sometimes I do have bad dreams about it. I am still angry with all the bad people for doing those things. I feel safe now, because the bad people can't find us where we live, but if they did find us they would probably do more bad
things to us".

You should never trust anyone, even your own parents."

Sarah Somerville, aged 9

Illawarra Mercury 22-25th May 1994




Bob Carr's Anti Ivan Milat Campaign

It looks like Premier Carr's anti Milat Campaign is working well again, his application to the Judge in chambers to seek an order to be allowed to orally argue his appeal to the High Court was refused.

It may be his written submissions lacked a persuasive element?

But he believes in a hand written letter sent to the writer that, "I believe it was the Carr Campaign against me. His ministers and heads of department all readily co-operate to sabotage my appeal."

He also believes that he would not get anywhere writing to the respective ministers or head of services. He sent a protest letter to Premier Carr informing him of his answer to his governments vilification upon him.

Ivan stated, "As of 25 February 2004 I have not eaten, this is a protest at Carr's Anti Milat Campaign against me. It is not a suicide or escape plot but the only way I can protest, it's the only course open to me."

"I have sent him copies of this letter to a number of other MPs The Hon Bob Debus, also the Hon John Hatzistergos MLC and to others expressing my concern at Government injustice of my appeal."

"This may be my last protest considering my state. I hope all is well with you, best regards."

Ivan Milat.


The media continues to paint him as a dangerous killer while he still has the avenue of appeal and is pursuing that avenue.

Mr Milat has always maintained his innocence. In fact we may even wonder why hitchhikers continue to disappear while he is in gaol?

As judges also read the newspapers and magazines the kinds of articles being published are prejudicial to Mr Milat's appeal and are therefore unfair although not illegal.

Even before his trial, Mr Milat and his family had been portrayed as gun-toting killers.

It is true some members of the family had a number of guns, and guns were seized by the police, none of which were the murder weapon, nor had any of them been fired in Belanglo Forest.

In fact no murder weapon was found and Mr Milat maintains a Ruger riffle bolt and manual were planted at his house.

The forensic evidence has in fact cleared Ivan Milat and all members of his family. Material taken from under fingernails of one victim has been examined in England.

Other prisoners cleared by the forensic evidence have gone free but not Ivan Milat. He continues to fight for justice, denied legal aid for his final appeal and having to do all the legal work himself?

There were other suspects in the Belanglo murders. In my opinion the background of at least one was not properly explored.

The person suspected of trying to abduct and English tourist was described as being racist and hating Asians, but Ivan Milat was planning to marry an Asian lady.

There are many other discrepancies, which have never been properly aired in the media.

Obviously the Government was keen to have "someone" locked up for the backpacker murders. It can't be good for tourism to have a lunatic on the loose.

Ivan Milat says he was framed. We have had a royal commission into police corruption since then.

We can no longer believe that police are not capable of framing someone after the headline making evidence of the royal commission.

Could it be that it is politically convenient and an asset to tourism, to have Mr Milat locked up for life and demonised by the media?

I know that people close to Mr Milat are afraid to speak up on his behalf, believing it is quite possible they could be killed for doing so, having already received threats.

I don't fear death and hope that by speaking the truth I may have enlightened some.

Laura McNammara

Premier of NSW
Mr Bob Carr MP
26 February 2004-03-10

Dear Premier,

I write to you about your governments continuing prejudicial attacks upon me in which you are denying me any social justice and are discrediting me in the minds of the public. Your actions to intimidate anyone involved, including Judges who are involved in decisions concerning applications made to the High Court further deny me social justice.

Your Ministers and Heads of Departments break laws; lies come from their mouths to prove that everything I do is simultaneously a sign of guilt or an attempt to escape. The NSW government use me as the stalking horse to undermine my few rights to natural justice.

The Police brief the media to announce a breakthrough in the investigation of a serious crime with the news that Ivan Milat did it, and supply the media with details and photographs to implicate me as the offender. To give more weight that an actual investigation took place in the matter the Police lie further by saying they went into Goulburn Prison and questioned me over the matter. The media acts on this police supplied information and broadcasts the news about my involvement in this crime and then the Police sit back, their mission accomplished there was no actual Police investigation only a conspiracy to instil in the minds of the public that I am responsible for this crime.

This conspiracy has a number of benefits to the Government as it gets recognition from the media that the government is continuing its law and order policy that the police are solving terrible crimes and the relevant Ministers bask in the glory. The Police Commissioner appears as a leader of a world class Police team.

The only aim is to deny Ivan Milat a chance to properly appeal his convictions. Your Government campaign has involved all parts of heads of Government services to vilify Ivan Milat. The director of the Premiers Office who arranged through a number of Heads of Government Departments to illegally obtain confidential medical files of Ivan Milat for the sole purpose to brief the media to overcome the attention that Ivan Milat was receiving from some sections of the community over his attempts to gain access to the basic means to attempt an appeal to the High Court. The Government in a stage-managed event used the Hon John Watkins MP to say in the Legislative Assembly of State Parliament on the 6th March 2001, that it was some plan of Ivan Milat to escape.

The vilification of Ivan Milat went on at irregular intervals the Police would announce that Ivan Milat was responsible for some previously unsolved crime. The late announcement was on the 8th December 2003, and like previous Police announcements concerning Ivan Milat was designed solely to prejudice my High Court Appeal.

I refuse to accept this government inspired campaign against me there is little I can do in the way of protesting this conspiracy by using channels to challenge this act by the government.

I refuse to accept this government denying me basic civil social justice, by denying me a chance to appeal my wrongful convictions. I am proud to die for my beliefs that I was framed for the Government that my High Court Appeal will not be interfered with at Political level and that I have access to the Court to present my case, the matter of my fate rests in your hands Mr Premier


Ivan Milat

Ivan Milat is kept here at the High Risk Management Unit at Goulburn Jail



Carr's Castle the real story
H.R.M.U. The High Risk Management Unit Goulburn Correctional Centre

Related: Clive Small, NSW Inspector Gadget

Ivan Milat was Framed
by Cat 2004-04-16 1:38 PM +0800
Just a comment on some things. The forensic evidence has cleared him. The jumper worn by his girlfriend was not the same jumper (the stripes were narrower) as the one missing from one of the victims. No murder weapon was found. The killer was a smoker and drinker, Ivan was neither. Ivan's 4WD did not have a spare wheel mounted on the back as described by Paul Onions. The police report on that matter 'went missing'. Did it ever even happen? Onions was shown a photo of Ivan and then asked to identify him (contamination of evidence). Simone Schmidl's camera and sleeping bag were found off the highway in Victoria and identified by her mother. Identical camera and sleeping bag were planted by police in Ivan's house - unfortunately for them they forgot those items were already found. Backpacks held up in court in evidence were NEW and had not been carried all over Europe and Asia. Prosecutor Tedeschi, the frame-up specialist, was used to get Ivan - the same prosecutor who had Tim Anderson and his friends jailed for 7 years for the Hilton Bombings. Now he's after Sef Gonzales - he should not be allowed to practice law.



More on the Milat frame up...

reader's question:

I remember reading an article that said Milat's partner was given the rugby jumper of one of the victims (the English girl) by Milat, and there was even a photo of her in the jumper. What was that about?

Regarding the rugby jumper, there were thousands of them in Australia. The one that Chalinder (Cyl) was photographed in clearly had NARROWER BANDS OF COLOUR than the one owned by the missing backpacker. I have spoken to Chalinder myself about the jumper.

Much was made of this fact in court, that it was not the same jumper, by barrister Andrew Boe

(who himself was the subject of many death threats) - but the prosecution came up with all kinds of nonsense to explain the obvious differences (it shrank? Selectively on the dark stripes??)

The jumper had been at Mrs Milat's home for many years but she was too old and sick to give evidence.

Following are quotes from the book, Highway to Nowhere by Richard Shears.

Page 29  "a spent .22 Winchester cartridge case....."

Page 87 "But were they dealing with only one murderer? The fact that both pairs of victims were not found side by side suggested that they had been led or forced to separate areas by two or more people. In the case of the British women, one had been shot numerous times, while the other suffered multiple stab wounds. Two weapons - two murderers?"

Another point was Simone Schmidl's backpacking gear, sleeping bag and camera were found thrown off the highway near Melbourne long before the discovery of any bodies. Her mother positively identified them after coming to Australia.

Mysteriously, a camera and sleeping bag of the same colours and brands were found in one of the Milat family members' home!

Andrew Boe also tried to bring that out in evidence to no avail.

The backpacks found in Milat family homes were presented as evidence - and all of them looked brand new. They did not look as though they had been carried across Europe and Asia. The were obviously NOT the backpacks belonging to the missing people. Someone was found who would state those brands of backpacks could not be bought in Australia - this turned out not to be true - but it was found out after he had been found guilty. (Page 98 of the book).

P. 107 "Anja had been decapitated with a single blow to the head by a very large, sharp weapon....." sounds occult to me.

P. 111 "Each of the victims had been found face down. Some officers thought that there was something ritualistic about the way in which the bodies had been left. Close to each discovery, detectives had found a circle of blackened stones......."

P. 111 "Professor Paul Wilson, one of Australia's leading criminologists, had little doubt that the manner in which the murderer disposed of the bodies had strong ritualistic overtones."

As far as charming the German victims, (name withheld) is native of Germany so would have had no trouble.

Tedeschi, the prosecutor used in the Milat prosecution, is known as the 'frame-up specialist" after he successfully framed Tim Anderson and his friends for the Hilton bombings.

April 20th, 2004.

 Suddenly, Ivan Milat is in the news again, after all these years.

Sydney Morning Herald

Ul-Haque with Milat in prison

By Ellen Connolly

The only possession Sydney medical student Izhar ul-Haque was allowed to take into his tiny cell in Australia's highest security jail was the Koran.

He has not seen his family since his arrest under the Government's tough new terror laws and won't be allowed visitors until the weekend.

Yesterday, Mr ul-Haque's family expressed concern that he was being housed in the maximum security section of Goulburn's jail, among the state's worst prisoners including backpacker killer, Ivan Milat, and Bilal Skaf, who is serving 55 years for gang rape.

"Izhar is obviously upset and obviously the situation he is in has taken its toll on him," his friend, Dr Mohammed Waleem Kadous, said.

Mr ul-Haque is being held under the Government's new terrorist laws for training in the Islamic military group, LeT, during a trip to Pakistan a year ago.

Dr Kadous, a former president of the Islamic Society of the University of NSW, said Mr ul-Haque was "the antithesis of a terrorist".

A Pakistani terrorist expert has suggested he may have been studying to become part of a medical unit to support terrorist fighters in the field.


Sydney Morning Herald

Woman helped Milat to kill, lawyer says

July 15, 2005



Backpacker killer Ivan Milat was helped by a woman in his murder spree, according to high-profile Sydney lawyer John Marsden, who once acted for Milat.

Mr Marsden's claim, made to News Ltd in what the newspaper group describes as a deathbed interview at his home, is the first time a woman has been mooted as an accomplice in the crimes.

Milat is serving life in prison for the murder of seven Australian and international backpackers whose bodies were found in the Belanglo state forest in NSW in the early 1990s.

During his trial, his lawyer Terry Martin told the jury "blind Freddie" could see that two of Milat's brothers, Richard and Walter, had played some part in the killings.

Both men have denied any involvement in the killings.

Mr Marsden, who is battling inoperable cancer, said Milat "probably" killed the backpackers but said he did not act alone.

"Ivan's a weirdo. I don't know whether he did it or not. Yes, he probably did it. But I don't think there was a brother involved. It was definitely a woman," he told News Ltd.

Mr Marsden said he had always been plagued by his decision to represent Milat on rape charges in the 1970s, saying the backpackers might be alive today if Milat had not been acquitted.

Mr Marsden was Milat's lawyer for 20 years but Milat sacked him, without explanation, shortly after his arrest in 1994 on the backpacker murders.

"If I hadn't done everything to get Ivan off that (rape) charge (in 1974) I could have been struck off as a solicitor," Mr Marsden told News Ltd.

"Do I think those lives would have been saved? Ivan might have been out (of jail) by then, so maybe, maybe not," Mr Marsden said.

"Do I ever think about it? Yes."

The high-profile solicitor recently underwent a bone marrow transplant.

The newspaper said he could live for 15 years if the treatment was successful, but would die within months if it failed.

© 2005 AAP




Sydney Morning Herald

No evidence woman helped Milat: police

July 18, 2005 - 2:44PM

Available evidence does not support claims a woman helped backpacker murderer Ivan Milat kill his seven victims, NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney said.

Milat was jailed for life for the murder of seven Australian and international backpackers whose bodies were found in the Belanglo State Forest, just south of Sydney, in the early 1990s.

Sydney lawyer John Marsden, who was Milat's lawyer for 20 years but did not represent him after his arrest in 1994 for the backpacker murders, has told the media he believes a woman assisted Milat in the killings.

Milat's brother George also says he suspects a woman known to the family helped commit the murders, and agrees they could not have been done by one person alone.

But Mr Moroney said there was no evidence to suggest Milat had an accomplice.

"I understand that this is not the first time that this comment has emerged and as I understand it also there is no evidence to date to suggest that it is the case", he told reporters.

"And the emphasis has to be on the evidence, not on rumour or innuendo or personal feelings.

"We can only present matters to the courts based on fact, and evidence, not on rumour."

If people had evidence to support the claims, they were required by law to notify police, he said.

"It is an offence to conceal a serious offence which is a matter that has been or is being the subject of investigation by the NSW Police," Mr Moroney said.

"If that evidence exists I'm more than happy to take it and provide it to investigators, but I can clearly indicate that there is no evidence at this point in time that the claims made are matters of fact."

© 2005 AAP


Police could re-open Belanglo case

Milat lodges 474 Appeal

July 19th, 2005

"Alice Smith"

The Sunday Telegraph (18/7/05) reports that police are considering reopening the Backpacker Murders case

Friends of Ivan Milat say this would be a good idea, given that there is so little to link Ivan to the case and given the alleged planting of evidence at Ivan's home and the original description of Paul Onions' attacker as a man of some six feet tall driving a car with a spare wheel attached to the back having been conveniently 'lost' by Bowral police and replaced with a new description fitting Ivan Milat, following Paul Onions being shown photos of him by police.

Could it be a co-incidence that the sudden interest by the media in the case has been manipulated by persons behind the scenes keen to see Ivan's latest appeal, a 474 Appeal for a judicial review, quashed as soon as possible?

Police could start by trying to find the perpetrator whose DNA was found under the fingernails of one of the victims. This DNA is not linked to Ivan Milat or any member of his family. This fact is conveniently left out of media reports of the case. In effect Ivan Milat has been cleared by the DNA evidence. As for him attempting to escape from gaol, this has never been proven in court. Ivan says he did not make any escape plans and that swallowing objects was not an attempt to be taken to an outside hospital but to draw attention to the fact that he was receiving no assistance with preparation of his appeal.

Around the time of the attack on Paul Onions, a young man fled from a four wheel drive south of the Belanglo turn off. The vehicle had stopped , and he saw 3 men and a woman emerge from the bush. They were armed and coming toward him. He escapes and records the details to Bowral police. Task Force Air later dismiss his evidence as not being relevant to their backpacker inquiries. There is clear evidence that the police were reluctant to embrace the group killer theory. Was Paul Onions a victim of the group and fortunate to escape the tragedy of what had happened to the other travelers?

However, this attack is the first inkling placing a woman at the crime scenes. It does go some way to explain the sexual nature inflicted upon some of the victims. Female jewelry had disappeared from the victims. Only commonplace camping items were discovered in later police searches. These items appeared to be new and unused and Ivan Milat says they were planted on him.

Candace Sutton from the Sun-Herald reported concerning a strange blonde man who picked up a male hitchhiker in a 4wd. In the rear of that vehicle were chainsaws and other forestry type tools. There were assorted knives. The man fled from the vehicle when the driver began talking about "bodies in the forest" just after passing the Belanglo turn off. The driver had slowed down allowing the fellow to jump from the vehicle.

Task Force Air had a swag of information from drug raids in the local Sutton Forest and general Southern Highlands areas. The police were well briefed on the Who's Who of the local villains.

Police focused initially on the local area when forensics proved what sort of weapons had been used. As early as 1993, the investigation was confining the search to the Southern Highlands. This line of attack changed after the assault on Paul Onions, and the single theory perpetrator took hold. Anything outside that scenario was dismissed. The police had fixed a rough pattern to the movements of the backpackers. This fixation was flawed. It did not leave open the finding of further information on backpackers movements after leaving Sydney.

An 18 year old's body was found in a local forest area during 1992. He was from Bathurst, NSW. It could easily have been assumed that this victim was to be a part of the backpacker case investigation. Task Force Air said no. To place this victim with the others would have meant problems of defining the patterns of the murders. The police did not mention this case in their original brief, although the killing was similar to those at Belanglo.

Bicycle riders Stephen Mangan and Michael Jones found dumped property belonging to the backpacker Gibson. A Ricoh camera was passed on to police on 31st December, 1989. Backpacks belonging to Gibson and his partner were later found by a motorist and passed on to police.

The significance of these findings was  closely similar to the finding at Bright, Victoria. The items were discarded to throw any later investigations away from the Southern Highlands.

The crown attempted to prove that Ivan Milat had been working in the Dural-Galston Gorge area and that he had the opportunity to place the items there. But then, there was the problem of the Items discovered at Bright. All of the items were dumped from the police case. The Casula-Liverpool link to the killers was  entrenched in the police mind set, that they refused to take into account the possibility they were mistaken. Vital clues and witnesses were being dismissed.

If police did investigate properly they would find a cesspit of lies cooked up by the prosecution which conveniently ignored the facts that:

1. The Bennetton top allegedly taken from one of the
victims was purchased from a Sydney retail outlet.
This evidence was known to both the crown and the

2. Property belonging to Simone Schmidl were taken
from the home of a Ms Murphy at Guildford.

3. Property belonging to Simone Schmidl was found at
Bright, Victoria. Some of these items were later found
at the home of Ivan Milat. How they got there should
be a matter for the Police Integrity Commission.

4. The blue day pack allegedly belonging to Simone
Schmidl discovered at Walter Milat's home could not
have belonged to her. A family photo of the backpack
at Walter's home was taken prior to Simone's death.

5. Arresting detectives were captured by the
television news carrying fully formed cartons into the
Milat home.

6. Ivan and Richard Milat explained to police the
origin of some items at both their homes. Backpacks
held up in court as 'evidence' appeared to be new and
unused. Statements that those brands could only be
purchased in Europe were fabrications.

7. Simone Schmidl's mother was not examined nor a
statement taken from her regarding certain items that
she had earlier identified and were found in Victoria.

8. The incompetent handling of the DNA evidence was
detrimental to the defence case. No description was
led as to the colour of the hairs found in the hand of
one of the victims. Recent re-examination of the DNA
evidence has cleared Ivan Milat and all members of his
family. This should be making headlines - but still
Ivan Milat remains incarcerated.

9. The loss of Paul Onions' original statement coupled
with the original Joanne Berry statement raises
suspicions. These statements were made at separate
police stations. Neither the police nor the witnesses
retained a copy of the original staements. This is
suggestive that there was hiding or destruction of
these documents. In his original statement Paul Onions
had described a man around six feet tall with a spare
wheel mounted on the back of his car. This does not fit
the description of Ivan Milat at all.

10. To depict sightings by credible witnesses as false was
designed to undermine and mislead the evidence that
supported a different pattern to the police theory.

11. The police failed to video record the search of
the Milat residences. This reflects on the integrity
of the police searches.

12. If the second statement by Paul Onions was so
credible, why was Ivan Milat not arrested sooner?

13. Only one item of evidence was produced with a
fingerprint on it. For the police and crown to suggest
that Ivan wiped all of the items free of prints or
wore latex gloves was ludicrous considering the amount
of property concerned.

14. Forensic evidence showed neither the Bowie knife
or the blunt sword found at Ivan's mother's place
could have been used in the attacks on the victims. Of
all the guns seized from Milat family members not one
of them was ever fired in Belanglo Forest. Ivan Milat
maintains a Ruger rifle part was planted in his home
and recent sackings of corrupt police suggest they
were indeed capable of such acts.

15. A vital witness, Jock Pittiway, gave Alex Milat a
backpack. PIttiway also gave a trailer load of items
to Richard Milat. Pittiway should have been
investigated by police.


Ivan Milat was not the only suspect in this case. There were other suspects, in particular one from Wollongong of European origin whose children
saw him doing suspicious things. The man from Wollongong had a long history of violence against women and many criminal convictions including convictions for paedophilia. He was obsessed with guns and had been in the armed forces overseas. He looks not unlike Ivan Milat in appearance and is of similar build. This particular suspect's car was seized by Task Force Air and human bloodstains were found in the back. If police really want to reopen the case they could start by comparing his DNA with that found under the victim's fingernails.

Sydney Morning Herald

Milat case stalked by uncertainty

Date: July 21 2005 

Speculation about an accomplice has inflamed the mystery of the backpacker killings. Les Kennedy separates the facts from conjecture.

The Brisbane lawyer Andrew Boe had long, jet-black flowing hair past his shoulders when he took on the task of defending Ivan Robert Marko Milat, accused of Australia's worst serial killing spree: the backpacker murders.

He's now bald for a young fellow, and won't talk publicly about the case, or the bad karma which he is still trying to distance himself from through other legal aid works.

Nor, as he said told the Herald last Sunday, will he speak ill of a dying man.

He's talking about the flamboyant Sydney solicitor, John Marsden. But he agrees Marsden's recent extraordinary statement is wrong: that Milat had a killing partner in the Belanglo State Forest, but it wasn't a brother, but his now deceased sister, Shirley Soire.

Boe won't say why, only just that Marsden never saw, or got to read, the police brief of evidence against Milat.

Last Saturday Marsden reared the long-debated spectre of the one, two or more killers theory that has haunted the disappearance and murders of seven hitchhikers between 1989 and 1992.

Boe should know. He was Milat's lawyer throughout his committal hearing and trial. He'd been appointed at Milat's request shortly after Milat sacked Marsden (within a few weeks of his arrest at the house he jointly bought with Soire at Eagle Vale).

On that cold, sunny Sunday, May 22, 1994, Soire, whose marriage had collapsed and who was not at home when police raided the house, jumped to Milat's defence. She phoned Marsden at his home, where he was hosting a barbecue, and asked him to go to Campbelltown Police Station where Milat was being held.

At that point Milat had been charged only with the robbery and attempted abduction at gunpoint of an English backpacker, Paul Onions - the one who got away and whose identification of Milat had led to his arrest.

MILAT and Soire were fifth and sixth in the order of the 14 Milat children born to Margaret and Stijphan Milat. Soire turned to Marsden because in 1974 he had successfully got Milat off the charge of raping at knifepoint one of two young women hitching to Melbourne in 1971. Court transcripts say there is no "genius" in Marsden's defence as he has since bragged.

[The rape victim, "Margaret", who had been in and out of clinics receiving counselling and felt guilt for what had happened, bought the case crashing down under Crown cross-examination when she said she secretly wanted to have sex with Milat at the time and agreed to have intercourse.]

In the Onions case, and another case where two women came forward after Milat's arrest and revealed their unreported abduction and escape in remote Wombeyan Caves bushland by a man fitting Milat's description, Milat was alone. These cases have long been held up by the Backpacker Task Force commander, the now former assistant commissioner Clive Small, as supporting the lone killer theory.

But last Saturday he and Marsden came to loggerheads when Marsden spoke of a female accomplice.

Marsden has since told the Herald's Kate McClymont he was doped to the gills with a double hit of morphine when he named Shirley Soire. Initially he named another female member of the Milat clan, made some extraordinary statements about other people unrelated to the case, then named Soire and ended the interview believing he had been speaking to a police officer.

When the Herald asked Marsden this week what was his evidence, he said he had none, that Soire never told him anything, and that it was simply a "gut" feeling because Soire lived with Milat when the murders occurred.

He is wrong. Soire never lived with Milat during his killing spree, but moved into their new home in July 1992, four months after the last of the known murders — the Easter killings of Britons Caroline Clarke and Joanne Walters.

Throughout that killing period Milat lived with his elderly, ailing mother Margaret, his crippled younger brother DavidJohn and another brother, Richard, and his fiancee and son at the family home in Campbell Hill Road, Guildford.

Shirley Milat was born on February 21, 1946, 14 months after Milat was born. At the time the family lived in Quarry Road, Bossley Park, in a big shed divided down the middle with a curtain. The bedroom side was divided by another curtain — Mum and Dad on one side, the children on the other. The living area had a wooden floor, the kitchen had dirt. Dad was a market garden labourer with his father-in-law, and also laboured on the docks.

She married Gerry Soire, a German, and, says her older brother, Boris, had fired a gun only once in her life. They came to live in Thunderbolt Drive, Raby, a suburb adjoining Eagle Vale. (Ironically Joanne Walters had given Immigration on arrival in Australia an address in Thunderbolt Drive of distant family friends as a potential place of residence, but never visited them during her time in Sydney.) Shirley, who died in 2003 after a long illness, had moved from there before the British girls arrived in Australia.

It has long been held by police (members of the backpacker taskforce are divided on the one- or two-killer theory) that some family members feared Milat had returned to his old ways — raping hitchhikers — following the break-up of his marriage to Karen Duck on Valentine's Day, 1987.

What is known is that Milat took the opportunity to renew an affair with Marilyn, the former wife of his brother Boris, with whom Milat had a daughter. For this liaison Boris twice tried to kill Milat. (Likewise, his brother, Wally, had taken off with a rifle in search of Milat in the late 1960s believing he had had an affair with Wally's then first wife.) When the affair with Marilyn ended in 1988 and Milat found himself without a partner, the killings began.

Did Soire suspect Milat of being up to more than serial rape?

During the time I covered the case, Detective Sergeant Steve Leach and I would debate the one- or two-killer theory and who in the family had an inkling. Leach, who has since died, said he believed Soire had no idea, and had collapsed over him in a flood of tears in Campbelltown Local Court the morning police introduced the fresh murder charges. Leach was sitting beside her. He had to carry her from the court.

It was Soire who introduced her colleague, Chalinder Hughes, to Milat when he was living in Guildford, after the British girls were murdered.

Soire was never called to give evidence in Milat's defence or by the prosecution. She refused all attempts by police to be interviewed about who owned what in the house or to reveal where the green-and-white striped Benetton shirt believed to belong to Caroline Clarke came from.

Milat said on the witness stand it was in the washing and he thought it was Soire's. He gave it to Hughes to wear on a bike ride because she was cold. No one has ever said what happened to it. Hughes, who now has nothing to do with Milat, initially believed he was innocent, as do all of Milat's former sisters-in-law, who told interviewing police that some of his brothers were capable of far more violence.

Boe ran a defence of trying to confuse the trial jury, that Milat had been loaded up by a bitter brother or someone close to the family, so close as to be able to gain access to his Eagle Vale home. Richard and Wally were bushwhacked by Milat's defence, but denied any involvement.

Yet after Milat's arrest, police mounted a secret operation to see if he had had an accomplice; a forensic psychiatrist , Dr Rod Milton, who examined the Clarke-Walters crime scene, believed two killers were at work and they were brothers, one dominant.

A forensic pathologist, Dr Peter Bradhurst, who conducted the autopsies, felt two killers were at work from the different manners in which couples came to die. Clarke was shot 10 times and stabbed once while blindfolded. Walters's murder was a frenzied knife attack; more than 20 wounds in the back and at least 10 in the chest.

Police used a Milat family friend, Phil Polglase, in a unsuccessful bugging operation on Richard Milat, who had been targeted after bragging at his work that "stabbing a woman was like cutting a loaf of bread". Polglase died in a car accident before he could give evidence at Milat's committal. But in statements to police after Milat's arrest he said had been staying at the Milat Guildford home on the Easter holiday long weekend in 1992 (the period when the British girls were murdered) as a guest of DavidJohn.

He had been sleeping in the lounge and was woken by Milat and another male family member returning home carrying guns and a large hunting knife. He was admiring the knife, and noticing a black, sticky substance on the hilt, asked if it was goat or kangaroo blood. The male relative with Milat allegedly said it was "human" in a joking manner, then added: "Ivan can cut your head off with one blow. I've seen him do it."

Milat, Polglase said, then remarked: "[The relative] can't stab anyone. He has to shoot them."

On another occasion Polglase was asked by DavidJohn if he could return several boxes of Winner brand subsonic .22 ammunition he had given him the previous day. That type of ammunition was made in South Australia for rabbit shooting and was ideal for snipers because it doesn't make a crack - almost as if a silencer has been used - when the bullet discharges. DavidJohn said he gave Polglase the boxes by mistake, that they belonged to Milat and that the brand was no longer made.

Empty boxes of the Winner brand subsonic ammunition with the same production batch sequence numbers were found at the murder scenes of Clarke and Walters and of Anja Habschied and Gabor Neugebauer, and a number of full boxes were found in Milat's room at his EagleVale house.

Polglase told police DavidJohn told him the family was worried that Milat was up to his old tricks. Polglase remarked something like: "What, robbing people?" DavidJohn allegedly said: "No, worse." Then DavidJohn added: "And we think he's taking [the relative] with him."

Even Justice David Hunt accepted Milat did not act alone. In sentencing him to seven life terms, he said the case was overwhelming. "In my view, it is inevitable that the prisoner was not alone in that criminal enterprise, but I do not take that fact into account either in aggravation or mitigation when considering what sentence should be imposed," he said.

Les Kennedy is co-author of the book Sins of the Brother - the definitive story of Ivan Milat and the Backpacker Murders (Pan Macmillan).


Belanglo Murderer DNA Found on Recent Murder Victim

 2006/05/18 - 22:02


Parramatta police are hushing up news that DNA matching that found under the fingernails of one of the Belanglo Forest murder victims has been found on a body recently discovered in bushland.

The difficult testing on the Belanglo DNA in England was only completed two years ago due to advances in technology.

Ivan Milat's family were officially informed that the DNA did not match Ivan Milat or any member of his family, nor did the DNA match any of the known victims. Police explained this by pointing out that the judge in his summing up of the case against Ivan Milat stated that there was no way one person committed these murders alone, and that the murders had a ritual-satanic aspect which would suggest a group of people being involved.

Detective Sergeant Michael Ashwood today led a raid on the late Mrs Milat's Guildford home where one of the Milat brothers, who is handicapped, still lives. Mrs Milat died some time ago. Police were allegedly looking for any weapons, clothing or other objects related to the recent discovery of a woman's body in a shallow grave, a fact which has not been reported in the mainstream media. This murder happened in about 2004, ten years after Ivan Milat was jailed so he certainly was not involved.

A Parramatta detective has admitted to one of the Milat brothers that photos are in the possession of police of two of the Belanglo murder victims visiting an area shortly before their abductions which does not fit the scenario of Ivan Milat picking up victims on the Hume Highway in N.S.W. These photos were kept out of the evidence during the trial deliberately because they confirmed sightings of the girls by railway employees in Albury and confirmed the finding of Simone Schmidl's belongings near the highway in Victoria, where Ivan Milat could not have been, due to the fact that his employer's records placed him at work during that time.

It is hoped that the DNA will match a known criminal whose DNA has been obtained. Useful samples of the DNA of the other Belanglo Murders suspect are held by his ex partner in the form of old type postage stamps on letters he wrote to her, one being a letter from prison denying that he sexually assaulted two children aged four and five years.

Picture: Gabor Neugebauer, whose leather jacket and watch were found in the possession of a policeman who committed suicide after harassing the wife and children of a second backpacker murders suspect, the details of whom have been kept secret even though the ex partner of the suspect gave four hours of evidence into the Royal Commmission into Police Corruption.. The jacket and watch were said by his fiancee to have been obtained by him before the bodies in the forest were discovered.

I was picked up hitchhiking on the Hume Highway by a dangerous man and it wasn't Ivan Milat


It was the early 1990s. I walked from Campbelltown railway station to the Hume Highway. I needed a lift. I was standing under a light near the on-ramp when a four wheel drive pulled over for me. The driver was good looking and looked out of place in a four wheel drive. His hands and face were so smooth he looked like a bank teller. He was an eerie type of person, around 6 foot tall and fit, broadish shoulders. This would fit with Paul Onions' original description of a man of 6 foot which he later changed at the request of police because it did not fit Ivan Milat's description. I believe the real killer had me that night and it was not Ivan Milat.

He asked questions that unnerved me. The further we drove the more terrified I got and the more certain I was that he was going to kill me.

Nearing the Mittagong off-ramp he reached under his seat apparently for his weapon. He kept feeling around under there for it and he could not find it.

I believe for this reason, that the gun was not there, he decided to let me out. As I was getting out he said "This is the luckiest day of your life" in a way that made my skin crawl.

I stood by the road and tried to get another lift. I felt as if someone was watching me. A car stopped for me. I looked behind me and there was the driver whose car I  had just got out of. He had been stalking me and had somehow come around behind me.

If that second car had not stopped I believe I would not be here today. I believe this incident was related to the Belanglo murders and I believe this was the same person who picked up Paul Onions who he described quite differently before the police asked him to alter his description to fit Ivan Milat.

I am 6 foot tall and very solid, not easily frightened but I was very shaken and still white and shaking when I reached my sister's house in Canberra.

I contacted police regarding the backpacker murders and was interviewed. They told me it was not related to the Belanglo cases. I believe this is because it would throw doubt on their case against Ivan Milat. 

I have been in touch with the ex wife of the other major suspect in the Belanglo murders who lives in Wollongong and the photo of that suspect does not fit the man who picked me up that night either.

I hope Ivan remains strong and I hope the truth comes out.

Ivan is SUDDENLY fingered for yet MORE embarrassingly "unsolved" disappearances, while the above is SHUNNED.

The corrupt corporate media weighs in again with another vicious diversion tactic in response.

Sydney Morning Herald

Ivan Milat a prime suspect again

Date: May 22 2006

By Les Kennedy

IVAN MILAT is expected to be named today as a prime suspect in the disappearance 26 years ago of two Sydney nurses - the third time since his 1996 conviction for the murders of seven backpackers that he has featured as a "person of interest" at a coroner's inquest.

A deputy state coroner, Carl Milovanovich, will hear police evidence about the women, Gillian Jamieson and Deborah Balken, last seen at a Parramatta hotel in 1980.

Milat was previously named at inquests into the disappearance of young women and couples from the North Shore and the Hunter dating back to the late 1970s. Unlike on those occasions, Milat, 60, will not be given a day out of Goulburn's high-security Supermax prison to give evidence.

The parents and other relatives of the two nurses are expected to attend the day-long hearing at the Westmead Coroner's Court. Detectives are expected to detail for the first time undisclosed information on police efforts to find the women, who were both 20 when they disappeared.

In 2001 Milat angrily denied at an inquest at Toronto Local Court that he was responsible for the disappearances of Robyn Hickie, 17, Amanda Robinson, 14, and Leanne Goodall, 20, all from Newcastle, who vanished separately in the Hunter in 1978 and 1979.

In August he was named by police at an inquest before Mr Milovanovich as the person most likely to have killed the Berowra schoolgirl Michelle Pope, 18, and her boyfriend, Stephen Lapthorne, 21, who vanished along with their green van from northern Sydney in August 1978. Neither the vehicle nor their bodies have been found.

For the past three years a team of Parramatta detectives has re-examined the disappearances of Ms Balken and Ms Jamieson. They were last seen with a man wearing a floppy black cowboy hat in a back bar of the Tollgate Hotel in Church Street, Parramatta, at 7.30pm on June 12, 1980.

Detectives interviewed Milat a year ago inside the Supermax prison, where he is serving a life sentence for the abduction, stabbing and shooting murders of five women and two men in the Belanglo State Forest in the Southern Highlands between 1998 and 1992.

Milat, who was working in 1980 at the Granville depot of the then Department of Main Roads, is understood to have been interviewed about his movements and vehicles he owned, including a lime green Valiant Charger sedan.

As in previous investigations into other missing women or couples in which Milat has featured since 2001, police have been frustrated by the fact that no bodies have been found.

Today's inquest is the first time the coroner's court will be asked to rule formally on the fate of Ms Balken and Ms Jamieson, who shared a flat at Dundas.

The reopened investigation, headed by Detective Inspector Ian McNabb, examined whether Milat was the man in the cowboy hat and dirty work clothes seen talking to the women by a bistro worker at the Tollgate Hotel.

At the time Milat was living in Guildford with his mother.

The women had planned to return to their unit, where another nurse flatmate, Susan Gilchrist, was to host a dinner party. But 90 minutes after the pair left the hotel, Ms Balken made a brief call from a pay phone to tell Ms Gilchrist they would not be home and were in Wollongong.

Police were told at the time that Ms Balkan said she and Ms Jamieson had gone there for a party with a man she called the "gardener fellow" and asked Ms Gilchrist to tell their respective hospitals they were too sick to go to work and would not return for six days. Both women left full pay packets behind in their flat.

In 2000 Milat was one of several suspects in a reinvestigation of the disappearance of five teenage girls and young women in Newcastle and the Central Coast.

That inquiry by Strike Force Fenwick revealed there had been serious flaws in police investigations of many missing persons cases in the '70s and '80s, and that those matters had not been brought to the coroner's attention.

After Milat's conviction for the Belanglo Forest murders and the abduction and attempted murder of an eighth backpacker, Paul Onions, police revealed that he was also the prime suspect for the unsolved murder of Peter David Letcher. The 18-year-old disappeared hitchhiking from Liverpool to his parents' Bathurst home in November 1987. His body was found in Jenolan State Forest. He had been bound and blindfolded, then shot in the head.

Please read these further updates/explanations:

 Please pass on these links to as many people as possible.

Sydney Morning Herald

Milat threatens suicide over TV loss

June 22, 2006 - 11:09AM

Serial killer Ivan Milat has been moved to an observation cell following his threat to commit suicide over the confiscation of his toaster and television.

The 61-year-old former road worker, jailed for life in 1996 for murdering seven backpackers, had first been given the privileged items because he was no longer deemed a suicide or escape risk.

However, they were taken back and a review ordered of the reward system in place at the Goulburn supermax jail after the families of Milat's victims and NSW Premier Morris Iemma expressed outrage at the policy.

NSW Corrective Services Commissioner Ron Woodham said Milat had been moved out of his cell and into a "safe cell" after threatening suicide on Wednesday.

"He said, 'You better put me in a safe cell', which means he was going to attempt to harm himself," Mr Woodham told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

"He threatened suicide yesterday.

"He does (threaten suicide) from time to time.

"Some of it is to get sympathy, but it's a fine line sometimes between an attempt and a successful suicide."

Milat is now under 24 hour surveillance by an officer monitoring him on closed circuit television.

"He'll be assessed by medical staff each day and we have a risk intervention team ... to see how long he stays in those conditions."

Mr Woodham said Milat was not generally a difficult prisoner to manage but was a security risk.

"On a day to day basis, he's not difficult to manage at all," Mr Woodham says.

"He's a security risk if he's allowed to be put in a position where he could attempt to escape and that's my job to make sure he's never put in that position."

© 2006 AAP

Sydney Morning Herald

Milat gets TV, toaster returned to cell
July 14, 2006 - 10:49PM

Backpacker murderer Ivan Milat has had his television and sandwich maker returned to his cell despite widespread opposition.

The 61-year-old former road worker, jailed for life in 1996 for murdering seven backpackers, was first given the privileged items in June because he was no longer deemed a suicide or escape risk.

But they were taken back after the families of Milat's victims and NSW Premier Morris Iemma expressed outrage at the policy.

A review of the reward system at the Goulburn "super max" jail, conducted by Department of Corrective Services chief psychologist Anne Young, has since found the rewarding of hardened criminals should continue, the Daily Telegraph reported.

"Her recommendations are that the privilege program be continued as a management tool to protect staff and to assist in the good running and safe management of high-risk inmates," a corrective services spokeswoman told the paper.

"Ivan Milat's TV and toaster are considered a privilege and are being returned to him.

"If Milat behaves himself he keeps them until he dies in jail. If he does not behave he loses them."

© 2006 AAP


Sydney Morning Herald

Milat nemesis quits for battle with Alan Jones

 February 4th, 2007

John Kidman and Liz Hannan

FORMER assistant police commissioner Clive Small quit his post with the Independent Commission Against Corruption reluctantly, believing his looming court battle with radio king Alan Jones made the job untenable.

In his first public interview since his resignation from the ICAC, the man best known for putting backpacker killer Ivan Milat behind bars said his move was disappointing but "the right thing to do".

Mr Small, 60, and Jones are preparing to face off at a trial in the NSW Supreme Court. At stake is whether Mr Small will receive a damages payout after a jury found he was defamed by Jones during a morning editorial on his top-rating 2GB radio program in 2004.

The four-member jury concluded that listeners to Jones's morning editorial would have gained the impression that, while he was still a serving officer, Mr Small failed to act on an explosive report about Lebanese gang activity in south-western Sydney. The imputation was that he was therefore to blame for the bloodshed that followed.

The jurors also concluded that, in the course of the broadcast, Jones implied Mr Small had improperly attacked the reputation of whistleblowing Cabramatta detective Tim Priest.

Yesterday, Mr Small said he would quit as director of strategic operations of the ICAC on March 2. He said he would have liked to have stayed on in the position, which he would have held for three years in May.

But as he would be required to give evidence, for the first time in the legal battle, he thought it best to leave.

He would not be drawn on what that evidence would be, but sources expect he will be highly critical not only of Jones but of Mr Priest, former police minister Michael Costa and others.

"I believe the nature of the comments which I will make in the upcoming defamation matter would represent a conflict of interest with my work with the ICAC," Mr Small said.

"I have the highest regard for the ICAC and do not want it drawn into this legal action. Resigning was the right thing to do."

The trial, which will be held at the end of May, will enable Jones and 2GB parent company Harbour Radio to present their defence. Mr Small will be represented by barrister Stuart Littlemore, who, in his former role as host of ABC TV's Media Watch, often sparred with Jones.

In earlier hearings Mr Littlemore described what had been said about his client as being "about as subtle as a train crash".

Guy Reynolds, SC, for Jones, did not deny the comments were critical but said they were not as serious and complex as had been made out.

Mr Small said the legal battle, and his resignation, had placed great stress on his wife, Alison, and two adult children. "I am very appreciative of the support they have given me over the past three years as I pursued this matter with Mr Jones - and throughout my career, where I have been subject to constant criticism" he said.

The legal battle is the latest twist in Mr Small's high-profile career.

He joined the police in 1963 as a 16-year-old cadet and was sworn in as a constable in 1965, rising to become the head of Crime Agencies and an assistant commissioner.

While he was touted as the next police commissioner after the departure of Peter Ryan, with whom he had a falling out, the job did not eventuate.

In 2002, he was seconded as a crime adviser to the Premier's Department. The job ended two years later when his contract was not renewed.

Soon after, he left the police force when Commissioner Ken Moroney decided not to renew his contract. No official reason was given. He was offered the ICAC job shortly after.

Mr Small said his resignation did not mean he was retiring, and he would consider his professional future at the conclusion of the trial.


- 1963: Police cadet, aged 16.

- 1965: Sworn in as a constable.

- 1968: First detective posting, at Burwood.

- 1970: Joins the CIB.

- 1977-80: Woodward royal commission into drug trafficking, then Joint Commonwealth-State drug task force or JTF.

- 1990: Moves to Liverpool command, promoted to superintendent and later assistant commissioner in charge of crime agencies, home to state's detectives.

- 2000: Sent to Greater Hume Region, which includes Cabramatta, then widely considered Australia's heroin capital.

- 2002: Seconded to Premier's Department.

- 2004: Made chief corruption investigator of ICAC.

Back to Homepage